Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Song

OK.. this song gets me every time. I call it the "Daddy/JP Song". Check out the lyrics... if you know Jim you know that this is pretty accurate!!!!

"Watching You", Rodney Atkins

Driving through town, just my boy and me
with a happy meal in his booster seat,
knowing that he couldn't have his toy 'til his nuggets were gone.

A green traffic light turned straight to red
I hit my brakes and mumbled under my breath,
His fries went a-flyin' and his orange drink covered his lap.

Well then my 4 year old said a 4 letter word...
it started with "S" and I was concerned
So I said Son, now where'd you learn to talk like that?

He said,"I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you and eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.
We've got cowboy boots and camo pants, yeah we're just alike, hey, ain't we dad...
I wanna do everything you do..... so I've been watching you."

We got back home and I went to the barn
I bowed my head and I prayed real hard. Said Lord please help me help my stupid self.
Then this side of bedtime later that night
Turning on my son's Scooby Doo night light,
He crawled out of bed and he got down on his knees.

He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands
and spoke to God like he was talking to a friend,
And I said, Son... now where'd you learn... to pray like that?

He said I've been watching you, dad, ain't that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you and eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.
We like fixin' things and holding momma's hand,
yeah we're just alike, hey ain't we bad...
I wanna do, everything you do.... I've been watching you.

With tears in my eyes I wrapped him in a hug
and said my little bear is growing up.
And he said but when I'm big, I'll still know what to do...

'Cause I've been watching you, dad, ain't that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you and eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.

Then I'll be strong as superman. we'll be just alike, won't we dad?
When I can do... everything you do... because I've been watching you.

Yep.. this song gets me every time. Love it.

1 comment:

Mrs. Burns said...

That is a GREAT song! Thanks for sharing Heat! :c)